FIVE THINGS TO DO BEFORE GETTING AN ALASKAN MALAMUTE (or any dog, for that matter)
1. Find the right dog that will suit your lifestyle, financial state and commitment issues.
2. Do a thorough research on any dog breed you desire.
3. Make sure that everyone you are living with is ready to take in a new dog as family member.
4. Request for a kennel visit to see the well-being of the dogs you wish to buy, (check for skin disease and other possible health issues).
5. Only deal with responsible breeders. Don't support puppy millers, importers and pet shops that only care about profiting from the dogs.
If you honestly find yourself unable to properly take care of a large breed dog, mainly due to financial reasons, Abaya's advice is look for a dog to adopt.
“Adopted dogs will love you just the same, maybe even more. They have the same eyes filled with happiness and excitement and they possess the same forgiving heart. They will love you unconditionally as well until their last breath,” he said.