HEALTH AND WELLNESS
It's never too late to paws and breathe.
TOADS are poisonous to dogs. Toads secrete poison from their skin glands which can cause dogs that tried to bite or swallow them to experience from mild to severe physical discomforts that could be life threatening if untreated.
Dogs don't need to eat toads to get their poison. A mere skin contact can send toad's toxins to the dog's mouth and gums, causing instant redness, excessive drooling, involuntary jaw movements and ascending paralysis.
If you are certain your dog has been exposed to a toad, immediately wash your dog's mouth with water and rub the gums with wet gauze. For severe toad poisoning, do this first aid procedure for at least an hour while you rush your dog to the nearest vet clinic. It will also help to induce vomiting if your dog is still conscious.
A veterinarian will administer an antidote (atropine) with supportive therapy.
It is less likely for cats to get toad poisoning because they seem to know not to mess with these nasty garden creatures. In case they do get a spray of toxin from the toad's skin, the same first aid procedure should be immediately administered to the cat. -- MetroPets
* Renaltech predicts CKD in cats with 95% accuracy.