HAPPY YEAR OF THE DOG! Below are photos of Buster (he's up for adoption, by the way!) and he will tell you why adopting a dog is always better than buying one.
1. When you buy a dog from a pet store, you're supporting cruel puppy mills. Buster can't believe you would ever do that. Not you.
2. You can't buy love—but you can adopt it from a shelter or rescue group (and for a lot less money than buying a dog from a breeder or a pet store).
3. Most "preowned" dogs or those who are rescued from the streets are already housetrained.
4. What's up, doc, er, dog? Shelters and rescue groups only adopt out healthy animals, and vaccinations and spaying or neutering (kapon/ligation) are usually included.
5. At an animal shelter, you can find a dog to fit your unique personality (even if you're a little nutty).
6. You will be rewarded with looks like this and other expressions of gratitude for as long as you both shall live.
7. Thousands of dogs and cats enter animal shelters and pounds every year in the Philippines. And he's one of them.
8. Ahhhh, it feels great to know that you saved a life.
What Are You Waiting For?
If you've been thinking about adding an animal to your family—and you have enough time and money to care for a dog (or a cat)—please adopt one from a local animal shelter or rescue group. In the Year of the Dog, please pledge never to buy animals from pet stores or breeders.
Buster was rescued from the streets of Makati. He was found emaciated, sick, and confused, but he's now healthy, happy, and ready for a new home. He's been vaccinated and neutered and loves walks, other dogs, and playing fetch.
Jason Baker is vice president of international campaigns for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) Asia. To get involved with PETA's work in the Philippines or if you're interested in adopting Buster or another animal, visit PETAAsiaPacific.com or e-mail us at Info@PETAAsiaPacific.com.