INTRIGUED. That best sums up our motivation in learning more about and trying out the APT Formula Nutramix and the Little Mate Enermix rice additives for dogs.
Manufactured in Australia and locally distributed by AVLI Biocare, Inc., the Apt Formula Nutramix and the Little Mate Enermix are unique dog food formulas that come as a concentrated meat powder. For big Fido's dining pleasure, add one heaping tablespoon of Nutramix to half a cup of cooked rice (for puppy) or up to two heaping tablespoons to two cups of cooked rice for large dogs that weigh more than 20 kilos.
If you are a dog owner looking for a faster way to prepare your dog's meal (aside from just pouring out kibble onto their dish), then you'd appreciate the convenience of simply sprinkling of this rice additive on top of cooked rice. We know of dog owners who boil chicken or other kinds of meat that they cut into small pieces and mix with rice. Nutramix and Enermix completely do away with all that kind of mise en place while promising pet parents that the powder-rice combo is perfectly complete and balanced, if not healthier.
We obtained sample packs of Nutramix and Enermix during a recent pet show and we enlisted our resident dogs to help us do this dog food product review. Our first dog reviewer is a full-grown black Labrador with the appetite of a hungry hound all the time. The second dog reviewer is a prissy, young Beagle who is always skeptical about new things, especially when it comes to food.
So, here's how our “rice topping” looked like when we prepared it:
And, here's what our “professional” doggies think of it:
We purposely hid a very small piece of bone under the mountain of rice topped with Nutramix to see if our Labrador would ditch his warm meal once he discovered it. To our surprise, he simply took and dropped the bone on the floor and continued polishing off his bowl until there was nothing left.
Brochures and advertisements about Nutramix and Enermix claim that this product packs the following:
* Concentrated meat powder (30 kg of raw meat can produce 1 kg high protein concentrate)
* Vitamins and minerals in concentrated powder form
* Animal protein / meat sources that provide superior amino acid balance.
* Full-fat soya (38% protein, 20% fat, linoleic acid, Vit. E, sulfur, choline and lecithin)
* Maize flour that offers protein, fiber, antioxidant, Vit. B, magnesium and Omega-6
* Extruded corn-soya blend that is highly palatable and easily digestible
* Corn flour
* Arrowroot that gives 8% protein, 5% fiber. Vit. B, Vit. C, iron and magnesium
* Cocoa butter with high percentage of saturated fats derived from stearic and palmitic acid, as well as omega fatty acids.
* Bovine gelatin (with natural protein and used as binder) with amino acid such as proline, glycine, alanine and arginine.
* Rosemary extract as antioxidant
* Meat oil for flavor
The low-salt products are available in liver, beef, lamb, venison and salmon flavors. The distributor claims one heaping tablespoon of Nutramix or Enermix added to a cup of cooked rice will provide your pet with 20 percent crude protein, 14 percent fat, 5.9 percent fiber, 7.5 omega-3 fatty acids, and 175 omega-6 fatty acids. It follows that by increasing the ratio of base mix to cooked rice, the nutritive value of the mix will also increase to suit a dog's physical requirements.
Both products are also recommended as an appetite enhancer and supplement or additive to dry pet foods. You won't likely find them in supermarkets, but they should be available in select pet shops and pet clinics. Truth be told, we didn't find this product in popular pet supplies stores like Dog City or even in Tiendesitas' Pet Village, but AVLI Biocare said NutraMix and Enermix are sold in Pet Express branches.
Did you like this dog food product review? Please let us know by leaving a comment below or by posting a message in our Facebook account (MetroPets). Until next time...