Listening to him talk and watching his animated delivery were equally entertaining. But more importantly, many of the points and advices he made effectively got stuck in our brain for future reference.
Here are some of the ideas and knowledge the popular dog whisperer shared with Filipino dog lovers:
- "Exercise, Discipline, Affection". Strictly in this order, too. Millan said too much affection could backfire if the dog doesn't learn respect and discipline.
- There's a brief 180-day-puppyhood window that dog owners should take advantage to correctly mold their dogs' character.
- Money, power and fame are nothing to dogs. Emotions like anger and fear they know.
- The people is the problem, not the dog.
- Be a good but firm pack leader for your dog.
- Establish respect before love.
- People who hurt animals have lost their spirituality and their heart.
- Dogs don't try to kill each other to entertain themselves.
- Dogs respond to and follow those with calm energy.
- Dogs don't need clothes. But if dogs are okay wearing those and the owner is happy, so be it.
- Don't raise in the tropics dogs from cold climate countries and vice versa.
- Loyalty, honesty, integrity are what you get from the dog species, not from a breed.
- “Dogs will not abandon humans. Dogs will not leave you because you look weird. People on the other hand are judgmental and selfish.
- Change your habit, change the dog.
“Dogs want to love you. They only express what they learned from you,” said Millan.