By ALMA J. BUELVA
A distraught owner of a Shih Tzu shared on Nov. 5 in Facebook how his dog's ear was allegedly accidentally cut off by a dog groomer from Animal House clinic in Pasig.
Eyjay Go posted 11 photos of what appeared to be a horrifying ordeal his dog went through in the hands of the pet groomer from the said clinic. Instead of just getting a simple haircut, a large part of the dog's right ear appeared to have been cut off and was not surgically reattached afterwards.
“Animal House Ortigas, why so careless?,” was all that Go could ask after his pet Cola unnecessarily became a one-eared dog.
A certain Donz A-Piesta said: “GRABE! Tatandaan ko yang Animal House na yan, kawawa naman yung dog. (Severe! I'll remember this Animal House, poor dog.)”
In addition, a veterinarian from Animal House in Pasig, who spoke to MetroPets on condition of anonymity, shared important details of what he said actually happened. The doctor said Cola was brought to their establishment on Oct. 28 by a nanny and was received by a male groomer and the clinic secretary.
The groomer allegedly found a rubber band that was wound up tightly around the dog's ear, which was also apparently been rolled up. In that condition, the ear would have lost its crucial blood supply, he explained.
"For a scissor to do a cut (like what was suggested), it should open wide. It would have made the dog to cry in pain and caused non-stop bleeding. It would have called the vets' attention," the vet said.
He admitted that the groomer should have notified the vet on duty after finding the rubber band wrapped around the dog's ear, but stressed that after the dog was groomed and bathed, it went home with its ear still attached.
On Nov. 5, the owners of the dog returned Cola to the clinic and it was when that tuft of fur went off and photographed, the vet said. The doctor added they have discussed with the client what transpired and they provided free cone and medicine not as an admission of guilt, but out of compassion to the dog.
Photos of Cola at the clinic have spread among dog groups online, all of which seem to be in agreement that the clinic must be held liable for what happened. The owner of the photos didn't say when those photos were taken.
Tyler was left by her owner for grooming at The Dog Spa & Hotel in BF Homes Parañaque. After her grooming, the dog was left on a table unattended and when it jumped (or fell) from the table, it got hanged.
Veterinary malpractice and grooming accidents have incensed many pet owners lately. The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animal advises pet owners to protect their animal before tragedy strikes by doing the following:
* Look for a skilled and caring veterinarian (ask for references from trusted friends and humane organizations, and call proper government agencies and veterinary medical board or group to check for complaints).
* Seek a second or third opinion about your animal’s diagnosis before proceeding with surgery or treatment, and carefully monitoring your animal’s stay and treatment at veterinary clinics.
* Never hesitate to ask questions about your animal companion’s treatment, and never leave your animal overnight at a veterinary hospital unless you are convinced that it is necessary and in your animal’s best interests to do so.